General overview of the impact of environmental and breeding conditions on the safety/quality of seafood, both in fisheries and in aquaculture.
University of the Basque Country
1. Fish welfare and seafood safety: introductory remarks
2. Factors affecting fish wellbeing and seafood safety/quality: fish nutrition; exercise; parasites and pathogens; veterinary treatments; environmental effects; and interactions between pollutants and nutrients
3. Fish wellbeing and seafood safety/quality assessment: analytical tools; legal framework; monitoring fish wellbeing in aquaculture systems; surveillance for seafood safety/quality; and seafood and human health
4. Emerging risks and climate change
1. know the foundations of fish welfare and seafood safety.
2. understand how diverse factors affect fish wellbeing and seafood safety/quality.
3. know methods and regulations under the legal framework of animal care, seafood safety/quality and human health.
At the end of the Unit the student should be able to find relevant information including updates in laws and regulations and Rapid Alert System for Food and Feed (RASFF); and become familiar with the seafood production system and the introduction, control and elimination of undesirable substances from theseafood production chain.