The course gives a general overview of the immune system and its evolution. The main focus will be the technologies arising from immunology and their applications. New innovations in applied immunology and advanced training in designing, implementing and evaluating Immunological techniques will be covered. The course is organised between theory and theoretical practical.
Cohort: 2017, 2018
University of Algarve
At the end of the module students will have a working knowledge about the immune system. This is to allow them to link basic concepts in immunology with the main biotechnological applications and understand the origin and importance. Basic developments of polyclonal antibody production, hybridoma technology, plantibodies and bioengineered antibodies are considered as well as their technological and applications in marine biology. Vaccination, vaccine production and vaccine engineering and anti-toxins and scale up production and their global economic importance. New innovations in applied immunology arising from marine organisms and marine systems. Resolution of worksheets related to biotechnological applications of immunology promote autodidactic learning through consultation of books and groups discussion.
Bachelor in Science.
Provide students with an overview of immunology. Outline the key techniques and their applications that are derived immunology. Immunology as a means to generate tools and treatments that are the biggest source of revenue in pharmaceutical and Biotech companies. The interface between applied immunology and Marine biology. Students will consult up to date literature to identify and gain a critical understanding of applied immunology.
1) Knowledge and understanding of basic immunology drawing on previous knowledge in immunology and also cell biology and biochemistry.
2) Biotechnological applications derived from immunology and their technological and biomedical applications.
3) Build a knowledge base in applied immunology by searching literature and e-resources and apply it to critically resolve problems.
4) Examine the strategies and approaches used to generate “product pipeline” going from basic immunology to a biotechnological product.
5) Identify problems in applied immunology and define strategies for their resolution.
Kuby Immunology, T.J. Kindt, R.A. Goldsby, B.A. Osborne, 6th ed. WH Freeman, New York, USA (ISBN-10: 1-4292-0211-4ISBN-10: 1-4292-0211-4)
Technological applications of immunochemicals. Biotechnology by open learning, University of Greenwich. ISBN 0 7506 0508 1
Comprehensive Biotechnology. 2011. Second edition. Vol 3. Academic Press. Elsevier.
Two elements will be used for assessment: 1) - An exam in which students have to choose 2 out of 4 questions and write an essay and 2) - Presentation and discussion of a scientific article.