Please note that this call is closed for the academic year 2017/2018. We will reopen this call in September 2018
Is your institute interested in offering Professional Practice opportunities for spring 2018?
We are very happy to announce that in the past month around 100 new students have started in the IMBRSea programme (International Master in Marine Biological Resources). In our programme students are obliged to do a Professional Practice in the spring of 2018, and we are looking for new opportunities.
What is a Professional Practice?
The aim of this module is to facilitate a chance to gain experience in a professional environment to assist students in making an informed decision concerning their career path.
- Through the use of a Reflective Portfolio students will evaluate their experience in the context of the learning outcomes.
- Through the use of a presentation at the Annual Symposium students will present and receive their own and their peers' experiences of professional practice. This will enhance the students' self-awareness and understanding through the process of thinking, reflecting and critically evaluating experiences of the entire cohort.
Click here for more information.
When can a Professional Practice be organized and how long does it take?
In the IMBRSea schedule a time slot from the beginning of April until the end of June is foreseen. Students should not have courses during this period. At the end of June, students will have to attend the Annual Symposium where they will present their Professional Practice experiences.
A Professional Practice of 12 credits is equivalent to 240 working hours (6-8 weeks).
How to submit a Professional Practice possibility?
Submission and advertisement of Professional Practices is organized via the Matix platform. This online tool, supported by the marinetraining.eu platform, will in the coming years be used for the follow-up of professional practices.
- Case 1: My institute is already a Partner or a pending Partner (registered on the Matix platform but agreement has not been signed yet) and I already have a personal account on the Matix platform: Log in and submit a topic.
- Case 2: My institute is already a Partner or a pending Partner (registered on the Matix platform but agreement has not been signed yet) but I do not have a personal account on the online platform yet: Please make a personal account under your institute.
- Case 3: My institute is not yet listed among the partners: Please register your institute.
Once you are logged in, you will be automatically redirected to the dashboard. Go to the link “add professional practice topic” and submit one or more topics via the form.
Each Professional Practice opportunity must be documented with:
- Host organisation
- Responsible scientist (+ email address)
- Short description of the nature of work that the student will have the opportunity to complete
- Language requirements
- Max. number of students that can candidate for this subject
- Specific competences required regarding the profile of the student
- Safety issues
- Location where the professional practice will take place
- Accommodation possibilities
- Any additional costs to be covered by the student
Deadline for the submission of topics is 30th of October 2017
Are there financial compensations foreseen?
When accepting a student from the IMBRSea programme for a Professional Practice, no financial compensations are foreseen. Insurance during the activities is covered by Ghent University.
What is the Professional Practice timeline?
- Submission of topics:
Call for Professional Practice topics is open from the 3rd of October 2017 until the 30th of October 2017.
- Topics published in a catalogue:
After approval by the IMBRSea management board, the submitted topics will be available in a catalogue on the IMBRSea website.
- Selection of topics by students:
The Professional Practice catalogue is provided to the students. Students will choose 3-5 options they are interested in and write a motivation for each.
- Selection of students:
Professional practice mentors can choose to be involved in the selection process of the students.
- Professional Practice:
This will take place between the beginning of April and end of June 2018
- Professional Practice portfolio:
The Professional Practice portfolio shall be uploaded in a dedicated online environment to which the students, supervisors and the IMBRSea coordination office will have access to.
Can an institution which is not an associate partner offer a Professional Practice?
This is possible! However, before the start of the Professional Practice the institution should become an associate partner of the IMBRSea Consortium. This membership will be approved by the IMBRSea management board and regulated through a signed bilateral agreement.