Visa Information

Visa Requirements for Non-European Students

Students from non-European countries will need a visa in order to enter Europe and start their first year of study. Despite the Schengen zone and general harmonisation of regulations regarding movement within the European Union, it is important to understand that most visa issues are under competence of national states and therefore there are no single regulations and requirements for all European countries. Please consult the European Union Immigration Portal to clarify whether you need a visa here

Once you are admitted to the IMBRSea programme, you should start the procedures to obtain the necessary visa in your home country in the embassy/consulate of the respective European country (Belgium, Spain, France or Portugal). You will receive the required admission letters from the central IMBRSea coordination office:

  • Official admission letter signed by the coordinator stating in which university you will start
  • A copy of your insurance contract
  • In case additional documents are needed they can be provided by the IMBRSea coordination office

Once in Europe you will need a residence permit or temporary residence permit (long-stay visa). You have to apply separately for a residence permit in every country of your study unless your nationality exempts you from doing so. A residence permit can be a plastic card, a paper document, or a sticker in your passport.

You will also need a second visa when you move to the second host country in Europe (France, Ireland, Portugal or Norway). Again you will receive the required documents to obtain this visa and facilitate the procedure when requested. Please note that before you can apply for a visa (whether for your next study destination or for vacation) for the second country, you must have the residence permit or long-stay visa of the first country.

Non-European nationals who are holders of a residence permit and/or long stay visa of a Schengen area country can travel to another Schengen area country for three months per six-month period. However, you must be able to:

  • justify the purpose of your stay;
  • have sufficient financial resources for your stay and return;
  • not be considered a threat to public policy, public security or public health.

Note that to move from one Schengen area country to another for more than three months, you will require a residence permit and/or long term visa for that country (keep this in mind when you look for an internship and agree on its duration).

For more information about travel rights and regulations of non-European nationals please click here.

Required Funds for Non-European Students

In Europe, a student must have sufficient means of subsistence to cover their living costs, healthcare, study and repatriation costs. The minimum amount which a student must have to cover their costs is fixed and indexed each year. Non-European students will usually need to prove that they have the minimum amount of funds required to cover their costs in order to obtain a long-term visa or residence permit. Note that for students receiving an Erasmus Mundus scholarship, the scholarship covers these minimum funds. The required minimum amount per month for each IMBRSea host country is listed below:

  • Belgium: minimum requirement of €617 net per month (academic year 2017-2018) further details available here.

  • Ireland: must be able to show evidence that you have immediate access to at least €7000. If the duration of your course is less than 6 months you must have access to €500 per month of your stay or €3000 whichever is the lesser (September 2015) further details available here.

  • Portugal: further details coming soon

  • Spain: further details coming soon

  • France: further details coming soon

  • Italy: further details coming soon

  • Norway: further details coming soon

Please note that these requirements may have been changed or recently updated, we therefore strongly recommend that you contact the relevant country’s embassy for further details.    

Partner specific information

Ghent University

All information about obtaining a visa for Belgium is available via the Federal Public Service for Foreign Affairs and the Foreigners Department of the FPS Home Affairs. Be sure to apply for the correct visa. Changing from one visa type to another is not always possible.

Visa application conditions:

  • You must go to the embassy or consulate in person in order to submit your visa application and offer a verbal explanation of the purpose and circumstances of your trip. In some very exceptional cases, you may be exempted from the requirement to submit your application in person.
  • When submitting a visa application at an embassy or consulate, upon entry into Belgium or if subject to a check in Belgium, all foreign nationals (who are not EU citizens) wishing to come to Belgium (whether or not they require a visa) must, prior to entry to Belgium and any short stay in the country, meet the following conditions:
    • Be in possession of identity or travel documents (passport) that are recognised by Belgium and remain valid for at least three months subsequent to their planned period of stay in Belgium. The fact that the passport remains valid means that its holder can return to the country in which the passport was issued and gives the country being visited some guarantee that the foreign national will not be prevented from leaving its territory.
    • Be able to produce documents justifying the purpose and conditions of their planned stay. There may be various reasons for the trip: visiting family, friends or acquaintance, medical treatment, tourism, cultural, sporting or work-related activities.
    • Have adequate means of subsistence, both for the duration of the planned stay and for the return trip to their country of origin or transit to another country. applicants are not required to prove that they have sufficient means of subsistence.
    • Not have been flagged for non-admission to Belgium (e.g. known criminals).
    • Not be considered a threat to public order, national (domestic) security, public health or the international relations of Belgium or the other Schengen countries.
    • Sometimes other requirements are to be met, such as travel insurance or medical certificate, etc. Want to be sure? Always check with the embassy or consulate!

Official documents issued abroad must be legalised or bear an apostille, depending on the country whence they originated, unless a treaty provides for exemption from this process. Documents issued abroad in a language other than Dutch, English, French or German must be translated by a sworn translator.

What documents does Ghent University issue for your visa application?

  • Exchange students: Ghent University will supply you with a letter of invitation which proofs that you will be participating in an exchange programme with UGent.
  • Degree students: Ghent University will supply you with a letter of admission which proofs that you are admitted to a full-time study programme at UGent.


In any event, the decision on whether a visa will be granted to you remains with the diplomatic post.

More information at:

Sorbonne University

University of Algarve

As Portugal is part of the Schengen Area, most citizens of the EU, the European Economic Area (EEA – Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) as well as Switzerland need only an identity card in order to enter Portugal.

For students from outside the EU, the necessary documents for student visa applications for entry in Portugal are:

  • Passport or other travelling document (Expiration date not less than three months later than visa’s)
  • Three passport size photos
  • Criminal register
  • Health insurance certificate
  • Lodging certificate in Portugal
  • Proof of funds upon arrival in Portugal
  • Academic registration document
  • Vaccines bulletin
  • Academic qualifications document (certified by the local Portuguese Embassy/Consulate)

Additional documents may be required, so this information should be confirmed when requesting a Visa at the Portuguese consulate ( For more information students can consult:

It is important to apply for a visa as early as possible. Students should not wait until August to apply for a visa.

University of Oviedo

As soon as they are enrolled in the Master, the students receive an official letter of invitation from the International Graduate Center of the University of Oviedo. With that letter they can obtain a temporary permit of stay in Spain (visa), called Residence Permit. Detailed instructions about further paperwork (forms needed, process schedule, relevant addresses) are also received together with the invitation letter.

The paperwork to formalize their stay in Spain or obtain an extension of the visas or permits they may already have in place vary depending on the visitor's nationality. As regards the paperwork needed for medical attention, all students and visitors must hand in a copy of their medical insurance at the International Relations Office.

Non-nationalised, foreign teaching staff and students whose stay in Spain will exceed three months must apply for: Identity Card for Foreigners

The applicant must attach the originals of all the documents they present, which will be given back to them once the copies have been validated.

Mandatory documentation:

  • Official model of the application for extension form: Ex 15, original and copy.
  • Complete valid passport or document.
  • Visa, if applicable.
  • Documentation proving that the person is registered at the University or that they are conducting a research.
  • Proof of payment of the University fees.
  • Certificate of Registration (which must be canceled once the stay is over). Can be substituted by a sworn statement stating their place of residence.
  • Medical insurance.

For stays shorter than 3 months, if it is covered by the compulsory Visa, no other procedure will be needed.

After booking an appointment, at least, a month in advance, the required documentation can be presented at the following official centres:

  • Oviedo: Dependencias policiales de extranjeros: Plaza de España nº 3, Planta baja,33007 Oviedo (no appointments before 9:00)
  • Gijón:  Comisaría de Policía - C/ Plaza padre Máximo González s/n. 33212 Gijón.
  • Avilés : Comisaría de Policía - C/ Río San Martín, 2. 33400 Avilés

For scholarship students:

It is compulsory that the following documentation is sent to the Office of the Vice-Rector for Internationalization and Postgraduate Studies:

  1. Photocopy of the national ID or passport.
  2. Erasmus Student Application Form (if applicable), properly signed by the student and with a passport-sized photo.
  3. Erasmus Student Application Form.
  4. Application Form in Cooperation Agreements.
  5. Erasmus Learning Agreement (if applicable), correctly signed by the student, the Institutional Coordinator and the Teacher in charge of the agreement in the university of origin. To fill in the section of subjects that will be taken at the University of Oviedo, with their respective codes and number of ECTS credits, you may check the quick links to the offer of Undergraduate and Master's Degrees and PhD Programs.


  • June 30 for students who start during the first semester or stay for the whole academic year.
  • November 30 for students who start during the second semester.

Recipient's address: The original documents are sent by post to the Office of the Vice-Rector for Internationalization and Postgraduate Studies: C/Principado 3, ground floor - 33027, Oviedo - Asturias - Spain. A scanned copy can be sent in advance by e-mail: o por fax: +34 985 10 40 49

The Office for International Relations of the University is a reference point where all foreign students can find the information they need. The staff at the Office will help students to complete all the paperwork needed to legalise their residence, find accommodation, access health care during their stay in Spain and to formalise their registration at the University of Oviedo. Furthermore, those students who so desire can receive the guidance and specific support of a student from the University of Oviedo who will accompany them and advise them during their first few weeks in Asturias. If you are interested in this kind of help, you can sign up for the a-dUO programme before you come.

Galway Mayo Institute of Technology

Polytechnic university of Marche

Before leaving for Italy, exchange students should complete a number of tasks and procedures to make their arrival and admission at the University easier. You can find complete information on this website:

Students from EU countries do not need a visa to enter and stay in Italy. Other international students must obtain a visa before arrival, unless exempt on the basis of agreements between Italy and the country of origin of the student. Application for the visa must be submitted in advance to the nearest Italian embassy or consulate. The reason for entry in Italy must be clearly explained.

Students from outside EU need a Residence Permit! If you want to stay in Italy for more than 3 months, you will have to go to the main police station (Questura) within a fortnight since your arrival to apply for a foreigner’s residence permit: Questura - Via Gervasoni n° 19 - Ancona. (

You will need:

  • A valid passport or ID card;
  • 3 passport photos;
  • A letter from the University proving that you are a student (this document will be given to you by the International Relations Office - Ripartizione Relazioni Internazionali)

Information from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

You can also visit the page Checklist for international students (

Assistance can also be provided by the Patronato ACLI :

E.U students must bring their EU Health Card with them.

All other students who wish to have access to healthcare services will have to go to one of the places indicated below:

  • Poliambulatorio Viale tel. 071 87051 - (opening hours: from 7.30 a.m. to 12.30 a.m., Monday-Saturday; from 3p.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday)
  • Poliambulatorio 2000 AN tel. 071 87051 - (opening hours: from 7.30 a.m. to 12.30 a.m., Monday-Saturday; from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Monday/Wednesday/Friday)
  • Presidio Distrettuale Brecce Bianche tel. 071 87051 (opening hours: from 7.30 a.m. to 12.30 a.m., Monday- Friday; from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday)

University of Bergen

Detailed information documentation, visa requirements and procedures for applying,  and registration for residence permits for visiting students is given on the UiB Student Pages (

EU/EEA nationals are entitled to work, study and live in Norway, but if the stay is Norway for more than three months then students must register with the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (registration is free). Students from EU/EEA must register within three months of arrival in Norway. Students need to show their acceptance letter from UiB, demonstrate that they have enough money to support their stay, and hold a European Health Insurance Card or have private medical insurance. Students are allowed to work in addition to studying.

For students from outside the EU/EEA, the regulations are that a residence permit for studies must be applied for before entry. This is also called a study permit. UiB’s Division of Student Affairs and the UiB Student Pages provide information and practical support for all students through this process, including advice on getting a visa renewal, etc. 

University of the Basque Country

The Autonomous Community of the Basque Country, Euskadi, is institutionally integrated in Spain. Spain is a European Union member state, which means that researchers and professionals coming from the European Economic Area –EU member states plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway–, or Switzerland are subject to EU regulations, being able to enter, leave, stay or move freely within the country’s territory. The EU citizens have the right to take up employment, whether working for an employer or for himself/herself as a self-employed person, receiving remuneration in return, and supply or get services. 

Student Visas

Those citizens who want to carry out unpaid research or training tasks, or continue their studies in Spanish officially recognised educational centres or scientific institutions (whether public or private) must have a student visa. Student visas must be applied for at the Spanish diplomatic mission or consular office in the student’s country of residence.

Student visas enable foreign citizens to live in Spain for as long as their courses, studies, research projects, or training take. Students or researchers’ family members (spouses and children under 18 or in their custody) can also apply for residence permits to live in Spain, with no need for previous stay on the part of the student/researcher. If the stay must be longer than six months, they must apply for a foreign student card, which certifies that they are legal residents in Spain.

Student visa holders (but not their families) can perform paid occupational activities if they have a request form from an employer, meet the relevant requirements, and the activities are compatible with their studies. A part-time or a three-month full-time employment contract will be necessary.

Non EU nationals need to obtain their entry visa for Spain. Check the location of your closest Spanish Consulate or Embassy here:

Documents required by Spanish authorities to enter the country (slight variations might apply amongst different countries of origin):

  • Application form filled in, biometric picture in white background glued to it
  • Original passport and copies of all pages containing entry stamps in other countries
  • For stays longer than 180 days: medical certificate + translation into Spanish or English + apostil of the Hague
  • For stays longer than 180 days: criminal record + translation into Spanish or English + apostil of the Hague
  • Proof of registration or pre-registration at the university (acceptance letter is also valid)
  • Certification of previous studies
  • Address in Spain (if a temporary booking at a hotel is not sufficient, we can provide an accommodation letter)
  • Certificate of financial situation (Scholarship information, family support, other ways you will financially rely on throughout your stay)
  • Medical insurance in force during your entire stay in Spain
  • Card of authorisation for studies stay ("Tarjeta")

Non EU-nationals staying with us for longer than 6 months or whose visa expires before the end of their stay should obtain their ‘Tarjeta de autorización de estancia por estudios’.

Documents to be taken to the police station to obtain your ‘Tarjeta’:

  • Passport (original + 2 copies of all pages)
  • 2 passport-size photos
  • Registration at the University of the Basque Country (original + 2 copies)
  • ‘Empadronamiento’ certificate (to be obtained at the city hall, original + 2 copies)
  • Medical insurance

Assistance in procedures, document-filling and appointments for police station available at the Help Centre.

The ‘tarjeta’ is only valid for 1 academic year; if the stay exceeds this period, students must proceed to renovation (renovation procedures must be planned to start up to 60 days prior to expiration date).

Residence permit

Non-EU citizens who want to apply to a Spanish Mobility grant will need the residence permit in accordance with the Statutory law on rights and liberties of the foreigners in Spain and its social integration. Those with a student residence permit not eligible. In order to be legal residents in Spain, non-EU nationals must have a residence permit. Residence permits can be temporary (90 days to five years) or permanent (indefinite stay and employment under the same conditions as Spanish citizens). EU citizens who want to apply to a Spanish Mobility grant or want to open a bank account in Spain (e.g., to receive grant funds) will need to apply for a Citizen Register Certificate. This requires their presence in the Central Police Offices in Bilbao and the procedure will be assisted by the MER Secretariat. 

Université de Bretagne Occidentale

All UBO students benefit from the services offered by the International Mobility Center (CMI) specially with regards to administrative procedures towards visa delivery. They also have a reception/information desk at the Cité Internationale des Capucins.

It is also possible for UBO students to come pick up international students at the airport or railway station and drive them to their accommodation.


Université Côte d'Azur