Skip to main content
Local Coordinator: Christophe Mocquet
Contact Address: Avenue de Valrose 28 06108 Nice France
Legal Representative: Jean-Marc Gambaudo Université Côte d’Azur – SKEMA Business School 157 Rue Albert Einstein, CS30085, 06902 Sophia Antipolis cedex, France
Homepage: UCA
Courses at UCA: Catalogue

University of Cote d'Azur

Updates on COVID-19 can be found on


General Information

University of Côte d’Azur (Université Côte d’Azur) is a recently created cluster of higher education establishments on the French Riviera that brings together the major players in higher education and research on the Côte d’Azur.

Université Côte d’Azur aims to develop a new, 21st-century model for French universities, based on new interactions between disciplines, a new form of coordination between research, teaching, and innovation, and strong partnerships with the private sector and local authorities. In January 2016, Université Côte d’Azur won a prestigious “IDEX” award from the French government for its UCAJEDI project, placing it among the top 10 world-class, comprehensive universities in France.



Most of the teaching will take place in the Luciole building within the Sophia Antipolis campus (1645 route des Lucioles, Sophia Antipolis). Sophia Antipolis is a technology park near Antibes, southwest of Nice, shared between companies in the fields of computing, electronics, pharmacology and biotechnology and higher education institutions. Housing is possible within Sophia Antipolis (CIV and private residences, see below) and in the surrounding cities of Antibes, Golfe-Juan, Biot, Vallauris and even Nice, thanks to a suitable public transport system (see other options below).

CIV option

Is available for students a basic and turnkey option that can be ideal for short periods of stay including room, breakfast, dinner and lunch (lunch only on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays). Located 190 Rue Frédéric Mistral, 06560 Valbonne (Sophia Antipolis), the “Centre International de Valbonne” (CIV) is 5min driving, 10-30 min by bus or 30 min walking from the Lucioles campus. Students can leave the CIV at any time with a notice period of one month.  

More information on the CIV housing option will be sent to the students following modules at UCA a few months before their arrival. This information is also available by contacting  

Private student residences

They are more expensive than the CIV option but offer a higher level of comfort. Depending on the residence, it is possible to stay in a studio or a 2-room apartment ranging from 17 m² to 40 m². These residences are furnished and offer various services. Caution: some residences ask the payment of application fees during the reservation of your housing. It is important to check and compare all information on the websites of these residences.  

A list of private residences will be sent to the students following modules at UCA a few months before their arrival. This information is also available by contacting  

Other options

  • ENS Nice: International Exchange Erasmus Student Netwkork. ESN Nice has a webpage and a Facebook group (in French) for the research and supply of student accommodation and social activities.

  • Lokaviz: Lokaviz is an Internet portal offering all types of accommodation for students. It allows to connect students and private owners, and offers throughout the year rooms still available in the university residences of CROUS. You can explore the base of ads according to the criteria you prefer (city, number of rooms, furnished or not, maximum rent, availability, etc.).  

General information (for options other than CIV).

In France, the process of reserving and securing a home includes many formalities that apply to both the public and private sectors.  

  • deposit (FR: caution) will be required at the time of booking (by the student residences) or at the time of signing the lease (by the landlord). This deposit will protect the landlord and allow for the repair of potential damage if the tenant does not return the place to the same condition as it was at the beginning of the contract. The deposit cannot exceed one month's rent without charges and must be returned by the landlord within two months of the departure of the tenant and the delivery of the keys (if no degradation has been noticed).
  • In addition, student residences and landlords may require a guarantor to ensure the payment of rent if the tenant does not honour the payment obligations. The guarantor is a person who agrees to pay any rent that you might not have paid. He or she signs a 3rd-party guarantee (acte de caution solidaire). Without a guarantor, the student’s application may not be prioritised. Good to know: there is a VISABLE student rental guaranteeset up by the State, that guarantees to facilitates access to the student housing if he or she does not have a guarantor. You will find detailed information on this website.
  • Finally, be aware that the landlord (or residence) may refuse to give you the keys if you do not submit a certificate of home insurance. This insurance is mandatory in France to cover serious damage to the building, in case of fire, explosion or water damage, etc. This insurance can be taken out either directly from an insurance agency in Nice or online before your arrival. Many insurance companies now offer the possibility of subscribing home insurance on the internet. Do not hesitate to compare the competition.

Living Costs:

  • Meal in an inexpensive restaurant: €12.50
  • Monthly food at the supermarket: €100-250
  • Monthly pass of transportation: €30
  • Utilities for a 85m² apartment: €120
  • Room rent: €300-450
  • Overall average costs: €700



General information will be provided to the IMBRSea students during the welcome day.

Other information:

Support Unit for Students with Disabilities

In case you need accommodation for exams (extra time, secretarial exams, specialised equipment, individual rooms ...) and/or your studies (taking notes, tutors, accompaniment, various helpers ...), contact: The staff of the Unit will tell you all the steps to take and will provide you with all the documents you need to set up the facilities.

ATTENTION: It is important to inform us as soon as possible so that the arrangements (studies, exams) can be organised, validated, and put in place on time (before end of June for Semesters 1 and 3 and end of November for Semester 2).


Visa Information

Depending on your nationality and the duration of your stay, you may need to obtain a visa to study in France. If you are a citizen of a country in the European Economic Area or Switzerland, an identity card is sufficient and there is no need for a visa. If you are a national from outside the European Economic Area or Switzerland, you must take the necessary steps with the Consulate or Embassy of France in the country of your current residence. Remember that your passport is essential and must be valid for at least the entire duration of the stay:

  • VLS – TS Student Visa : "Visa long séjour valant titre de séjour" (VLS/TS) for a duration of 4 to 12 months. This visa allows you to pursue studies at a higher education institution in France for a minimum duration of 4 months. The normal validity period of the long-stay visa is one year. This visa is renewable. Holders of the VLS-TS visa marked "étudiant" are exempted from applying for a temporary residence permit in the first year of their stay in France. However, you must carry out formalities with the OFII upon your arrival in France in order to validate your visa. Be careful: in the case of non-compliance with this requirement, the VLS-TS visa will lose its validity. This visa is extendable for the continuation of studies in France 
  • VLS – T Visa : “Visa long séjour temporaire” for a duration of 4 to 12 months. This visa also makes it possible for you to pursue studies in France for a maximum duration of one year. The VLS-T visa waives all formalities with the OFII and the residence permit requirement. This visa is not extendable on French territory.

Université Côte d’Azur will supply you with a letter of acceptance which proofs that you will be participating in an exchange programme in France.

Find More information of formalities to enter in France (before and after your arrival). 



Courses at UCA use different forms of examination such as written examinations, assigned exam papers, mixed workshops and oral examinations; with a balance between group and personal works, and between continuous and final examination. The type of examination may vary according to the subject.

The examination or assessment type is listed in the course description of every course, the details are given at the beginning of each module. Exams are graded out of 100, 60 corresponds to a pass (IMBRSea grades: 10/20), 70 to fair (IMBRSea grades: 12/20), 80 to good (IMBRSea grades: 14/20) and 90 to excellent (IMBRSea grades: 17/20). It requires an average of 70/100 to pass the year and graduate in the local UCA degree.

Students can receive a failing grade, or can even be expelled from UCA for plagiarism. Most of the exams are computer-based and use the UCA e-learning platform. Exams, feedbacks and grades are available to the students during their stay at UCA.