Skip to main content
Local Coordinator: Grazzia Matamoros
Contact address:Carl Skottsbergs gata 22 B 41319 Göteborg
Home page: UGOT

University of Gothenburg

Information regarding Covid-19:


General Information

The University of Gothenburg meets societal challenges with diverse knowledge. 38,000 students and 6,000 employees make the University a large and inspiring place to work and study, with a continuous flow of new knowledge and ideas.

Strong research and attractive study programs attract scientists and students from all around the world. The University of Gothenburg is environmentally certified and works actively for sustainable development. With new knowledge and new perspectives, the University of Gothenburg contributes to a better future.

The Department of Marine Sciences is Sweden’s most complete environment for marine research and marine education, and is one of only a few such organisations in Europe.

With broad and cutting-edge expertise and access to unique marine infrastructure such as research vessels and field stations, the department enjoys excellent conditions for addressing the challenges of the future within marine research and education.



Gothenburg has more students than any other city in Sweden. Because of this, the demand for student housing is extremely high. Many students find it difficult and time-consuming to look for accommodation. Unfortunately, the University cannot guarantee housing. It is not impossible to find a place to stay, but you need to start the process in time

How you apply for housing depends on whether you are:

An exchange student (you are here via an exchange agreement)


An international student (you are here for free standing courses or a full program).

For more information regarding student housing and accommodation, check out the following link:


Living costs: 

Information regarding living costs an be found on the following site:



Useful links: 

Welcome program 

Student Life

Student Buddies

Student Services and Support


Language opportunities: 

Learn Swedish


Visa Information

For EU citizens:

Being an EU citizen means that you have the right to work, study or live in Sweden without having a residence permit. You'll need a valid national identity card or passport when entering Sweden from another Schengen EU country. A driving licence don't qualify as a travel document and we recommend that you bring your passport in case you will need to prove your identity.

More information about travelling within the EU can be found at the European commission's website:


Learn more about  the requirements and processes of obtaining a study visa here:

More information regarding Residence Permits and Insurance can be found on the following page: